Saturday, April 30, 2016

May Quilty 365 Linkup

So here we go with May Quilty 365! This months finds me with thirteen unsewn circles. Not scary far behind on stitching, but definitely needing some attention. 
April circles
Honestly I'm not impressed with several of this months blocks. The colors are drab and uninspired or perhaps I chose fabric that makes me feel a little queasy now. I'd like to just throw them out and start over but then I think a little bit more on what this is all about.  Maybe, {just maybe} I need to leave the less attractive circles in there and look at it as part of the journey. For the most part I am choosing my circle fabrics day by day, and life, as we all know, is full of different kinds of moody moods. Even if I choose not to share those moods with you. It's just not how I operate. Feel free to try and read between the {fabric} lines.*wink
The stacks are getting larger!
I'm loving some of the other circle projects I see every month. Why didn't I choose that lovely background fabric? Or why didn't I think of this, or that, or the other? It's a dangerous game because hello? I won't be happy making someone else's quilt. This one's all me, staying in the safe, neutral background and letting my circles pop here and there. Some recede into the background and others are quite jarring when you look at them next to my usual softer palette. Later I look at those blocks and wish I could remember what was going through my mind that day. 'Cuz I'm not keeping a journal. I mostly just want to be able to do a glance-over and remind myself that I made it through 'that crazy, busy year'! 

Layout, layout. Too busy to think much on that subject this month, although I did see an interesting rug that got me thinking about circles. Funny what sets us off into the land of inspiration. Also, I have been leaning more and more toward wanting my pieced circles to be presenting horizontal or vertical, which totally leaves out the 'on-point' setting I am so enamored of. Good thing I have several months left to get this all sorted out in my mind! 

Do I still have some quilty folks circling with me? There's a few people falling away at this point and that's perfectly okay. Unless I miscounted, the end of April leaves me at 188 days of circles. Woohoo! In case you were wondering, I'm posting the linkup early because this weekend is booked solid and I'll be lucky if the computer ever gets turned on. If you're still hanging in there I'd love to see your latest. Really. Join us in the linkup with your thumbnail picture and:
  • What particular day you  happen to be at now {such as 'day 150'}
  • A picture of your April circles whether they are stitched to the background fabric or not {can add a picture of all your circles to date if you want}
  • A link back to this post
  • Any thoughts or introspection you might want to add about this particular project.
   
   

27 comments:

  1. Enjoy your booked solid weekend, Audrey ! :) I have not counted my circles but I started on November 22nd so I have at least 150-160 by now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the circle project.....right now it is what is keeping me sane. And I love reading your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gustan mucho, muchas veces pienso que me equivoqué cuando empecé a hacerlo sobre base oscura, pero tengo que seguir con mi primera elección.

    Un saludo

    ana-ane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell a little behind this month, but have found a way to catch up. Some days I'm quite conscious of which fabrics I choose to suit the day. When I don't, I'm sure the sub-conscious picks for me. That's probably what's going on with the blocks you are not sure of....so I would leave them be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I linked to the photo and post I did early in the week on the circles - you know of course that I couldn't force myself to only do one circle a day and I'm getting near the finish - half the quilt top (queen) is sewed and I'm working on the second half. I intend to have this quilt be the next quilt on my quilting frame in another 8 weeks or so

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your stack of plaids and stripes. Very cheerful and warm-looking. I'm keeping up, but barely at times, but nearly halfway to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Audrey,
    Great circles. Love seeing everyone's different and unique way of doing this challenge. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still with you!! I am about 10 days behind, but I will get there. Loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waving my hand wildly...still here!! Will do my link up soonish! It can be a struggle now and then but I will not give up on this. And remember life is not always pretty and therefore fabric choices may not follow a pretty path either, but when seen as a whole it's not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That happens to me every project I work on - thinking of all the different possibilities and having to limit myself as I make decision after decision. You can always start another quilt when you are done with this one. I think your circles are fabulous and will make for a fantastic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your circles, Audrey, and love your day by day approach to them. Your quilt will be an amazingly personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still enjoying watching your journey with this and having some less than glorious circles in there will definitely be a truer reflection of life. I'm not making one a day any more, as you may have noticed, but am still circling in various ways and am sticking with the aim of 365 in a year, just interpreting it in a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to be awesome when you put it all together, and your "drab" ones will blend right in there. So many fun versions of this being made!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fun to see how everyone is interpreting this little circle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your scrappy circles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tried to resist but it is May 1 and I am in. I really like the concept of a year in quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As of yesterday I'm at day 121, actually today because when I went to take a picture I was two short and had to stitch them up quick. But that lead me to choose a bottle of hot sauce for one and a Margarita recipe for the other to commemorate lunch with my out of province cousin on Frida!

    Right now I'm alternating with black and white backgrounds but have an idea of a layout so I'm not seeing them together until all 366 are stitched. I'll probably do s random placements bit I've bundled up my first three months and have them in a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your circles Audrey! Not drab at all. Do you realize you are more than half way done?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Each day brings it's own challenges. Letting the day be reflected in your fabric choice will make your quilt much more interesting and you will feel it is more true to life. I too have seen so many wonderful interpretations out there and thought, "Why didn't I think of that!" At this point I have absolutely no idea how I will set my leaves. I am hoping "They" will speak to me when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm still going! I started on January 1st and have been doing my melon shape every day. I'm still finding it to be a very gentle way to start my morning. The morning news goes on the tv and I sit with my cup of coffe and my stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't do this project, but it seems almost every blog I visit IS doing it, so even if everyone isn't linking, there are a lot of circle quilts out there. I think this will deserve a paragraph or two in the history books they write in 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, we may have lost a few along the way, but it is still mind boggling to me how many people you have inspired to take on this challenge. I am also amazed at how creative some people are and how each one of us interprets things differently. I'm happy that I have stuck to feedsack prints only, it makes decision making practically nil. Nuf said. I do love your pieced circles. They remind me of phases of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your circles do not look at all drab Audrey & I'm behind too so you're not alone. I love your pieced ones making use of every single scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loving your pieced circles :) As you say you have ages to go before you even have to consider nailing down a layout choice, it's lovely to hear about your thoughts though :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am the worst at remembering important dates--and I have circles to show! Not enough circles, mind you, I'm not keeping up but I'm also not too far behind. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.